Monday, June 27, 2011

Athens Day Three

          What a wonderful free morning in Athens. It was nice getting up without an alarm clock and just resting. Usually on our off days we have class and have a full day at the beach or around the town, but it was nice to lay in bed and catch up on some disney shows. Everyday, we are constantly on the move; seeing amazing sites and experiencing different cultures, but it was nice to have some down time just to relax and almost feel like I was back home on my couch in Austin. 
           We did visit Poseidon's temple in Sounion in the late afternoon and it was actually just as relaxing as the morning. The ride to the temple was along the coast of Athens so you can see the calms waves of the Aegean Sea. 
           The temple sat on on top of a hill surrounded by the sea. I found a wonderful protruding rock that looked out over the sea and it was a great time to reflect and look out in the array of blue; turquoise, teal, navy, and sky blue. 
           I've discovered on this trip that I am most at peace when viewing the ocean waters. It's so calming and tranquil. The water is absolutely gorgeous and seems to go on infinitely like the Greek key, we saw in the Acropolis Musuem. The key represents eternal life because it has no beginning or end. 
           The islands surrounded in an enchanted mist add to the mystery of the Sea. The world is so big and there is so much left I haven't seen. What is the name of that island? What kind of people inhabit it? I have so many questions about the world and I wanna discover them for myself. 
           However, I also miss my home and my family. Traveling the world is fantastic and I love every minute, but looking out onto the never-ending see makes me realize how far I am from home. It must of been like what Odysseus must of felt when sitting on Calypso's island longing for Ithaca. 
           I will always yearn for home, but while abroad I find my comfort in the ocean. No matter the struggles I'm facing or the stress I'm under, they magical seem to fade into the sounds of the oceans and the mystic view until they are completely gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment